Returning Resident Visas

Post date: Apr 09, 2012 8:1:11 PM

What happens if a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) remains outside the United States for more than one year? What if the LPR stays out longer than allowed under a re-entry permit (usually good for two years)?

Answer: The LPR can be stopped at the Port of Entry and denied admission. The resident card can be taken away and the person can be placed in Removal (deportations) proceedings for having "abandoned" their legal residence. One way to avoid this is to apply in advance for a Returning Resident visa. Please check out this link from the US Department of State for more information.

USDOS Returning Resident Visas